Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB) is behaviour that causes distress, harrassment or alarm to the victim.

This could be noise nuisance or violent behaviour for example.

To define ASB we follow the the government's guidelines set out in the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014

Report Anti-Social Behaviour online

You can report ASB online by providing details of what happened and where it took place.

A member of our Tenancy Compliance Team will contact you back to gather more information. Please leave a contact number or email address for us to contact you on.

Report ASB online now

Report ASB over the phone

You can also report an incident outside our office hours by phoning NPH's anti-social behaviour reporting line on 0300 330 7003.

If you wish to speak to someone to seek advice, report an incident or discuss a current incident that you have previously reported then you can also call between 9 and 5pm weekdays.

Read useful information on Anti-Social Behaviour below


Supporting reporters and witnesses

If you are a reporter or witness, we will support you by:

  • Working with partners to minimise any risk of harm to you, consider additional security enhancements to your property.
  • Only sharing information you’ve said we can, unless someone is at risk.
  • Providing support on a case by case basis.
  • Paying for relevant costs if we ask you to attend court as a witness.
  • Explaining what will happen at court.
  • Giving you a dedicated officer to support you, if you need one.
  • Complete initial risk assessment with you and review.
  • Removing offensive graffiti within 1 working day of the report.
  • Respecting your wish to remain anonymous.
  • Referring you to other agencies, such as Voice Northants.
Hate Crime

What is a hate crime?

A hate crime is any offence which is motivated by prejudice or hate.

A hate crime is an act of hostility or prejudice towards a person's:

  • Race
  • Colour
  • Ethnic origin and nationality
  • Religion, faith and belief
  • Sexual orientation
  • Disability and learning difficulties
  • Gender identity
  • Physical appearance
  • Any combination of the above

Hate crimes can be in the form of:

  • verbal insults
  • abusive gestures
  • threats of attack
  • or physical attack or any other act of abuse.  

Reporting hate crime

Reporting incidents helps NPH, Northants Police and Northampton Borough Council tackle hate crime.

If the incident has happened in or around your NPH home, you can report it to us using the online form for reporting anti-social behaviour, or call us on 0300 330 7003.

If the incident has happened in any other part of Northampton, you can use the online form provided by Northampton Borough Council or call the police on 101.

Please remember that if you are in an emergency situation, you should always call 999.

Support available

The Inter Faith Network promotes mutual respect and understanding between faith communities of the UK.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission is our national equality body and exisits to make Britain fairer.



About fly-tipping

Fly-tipping is the illegal disposal of waste.

It can be an eye-sore and can negatively impact your community.

Fly-tipping removal is co-ordinated by Northampton Borough Council and you can report incidences online.

It is up to you to dispose of your rubbish responsibly. If you find you have too much rubbish, or rubbish that won't fit in your bins/boxes for weekly collection, you should take the rubbish to your local Waste and Recycling Centre.

If you have large, heavy items to get rid of, the Northampton Borough Council offers a collection service which can be booked via the Council's online form.

Noise Nuisance

Noise nuisance is generally considered to be unwanted sound

Not all noise will be a nuisance, and the law does not give an absolute right to peace and quiet. 

Before taking any action, we have to decide whether the noise is unreasonable, based on a number of factors including:

  • the duration, frequency and intensity of the noise and when it occurs
  • whether it is a one-off or continuing problem
  • or whether it is being made deliberately

What we will investigate

Examples of the types of noise that we will investigate include:

  • barking dogs
  • noise from vehicles or machinery
  • DIY activities that take place outside of reasonable hours
  • loud music or television
  • shouting or banging from a property

What we will not investigate

We will not investigate noise where it concerns, for example:

  • a one-off event
  • the everyday use of a property (lights being switched on or off, footsteps, doors closing and opening, use of household appliances, people talking, low level sound from TV/radio)
  • where properties have poor sound insulation
  • or when children are playing in gardens and open spaces.
Action you can take now

We are always here to help tackle Anti-Social behaviour.

However, there are a few things that you can try yourself:

Talk to the person in a friendly manner

  • If you feel it is safe and appropriate to do so, talking to your neighbour or the person you are complaining about in a friendly manner to discuss the problems you are having. It may be they are not aware that they are causing a problem.

Record evidence

  • If you are provided with an incident diary, include as much detail as possible. This may be needed for evidence.

Contact the police

  • You should always contact the police if you have been threatened, harassed or assaulted, or if your property has been damaged or broken into. We work very closely with the police to deal with anti-social and criminal behaviour. 

You could also contact a solicitor, Citizens’ Advice Bureau or Shelter, if you are facing problems of nuisance and harassment. Your solicitor or adviser may be able to help you apply for an injunction against those responsible or send an appropriate warning letter to them.


Neighbour disputes

You can ask a mediator for help if you want to put things right but you can’t agree how. A mediator is someone who doesn’t know either of you and who’s trained to help people resolve disagreements.

We recommend mediation for:

  • Legally parked vehicles
  • Actions that we are likely to consider to be normal everyday activities or household noise.
  • Children playing ball games, unless the children are also engaged in associated ASB.

Request mediation