Older persons' housing

We are committed to supporting you

Northampton Partnership Homes is committed to providing support to our older tenants. You do not have to live in housing that is specifically for older people to access support.

If you think you would benefit from extra support to help you live independently in your home, please contact your Housing Officer who will be happy to discuss this with you. 

If you are an older tenant and do not require support but wish to live in a property that has an alarm and is linked to a 24 hour emergency response system, we can also assist you with that. 


Adaptations service

We are committed to helping people live independently in their home. If you or anyone living at your home have a disability and are finding it difficult to get into and around your home or to use some of the facilities within your home we may be able to help by carrying out adaptations.

What do we provide?

  • Advice on equipment and/or adaptation for your home to support your needs
  • Advise and support on alternatives if adaptation is not possible

Some typical fixtures and fittings we provide include the following:

  • Grab rails and banisters
  • Level access to your home
  • Taps and/or handles if yours are difficult to turn
  • Kitchen and Bathroom alterations

To help us decide what kind of help you need, we will assess your needs, in some cases we will also refer your situation to an occupational therapist for further evaluation to ensure we support you and your family to the best of our ability.  Depending on the type of work to be carried out we aim to complete all minor adaptations within 28 days of your assessment. 

Who can we help?

In order to receive help from the Adaptations Service you or anyone living at your home must:

  • Be a council tenant with Northampton Partnership Homes
  • Find normal daily living tasks more difficult to carry out

Frequently asked questions

If you have any questions about adaptations that are not answered below, please send us an email or give us a call.

Who pays for any adaptation work?
NPH will pay the cost of any minor and most major adaptations.

What if my home can’t be adapted?
Some properties can’t be easily adapted, perhaps because of the design or location. We will work with you to find a more suitable home for you to move to.

Is planning permission needed?
If the work is outside, such as a ramp, you may need planning permission from the council. We’ll be happy to help you with this.

Do you need our permission to carry out work?
It's always a good idea to speak to us first, as works to your home normally require permission added to which we may be able to pay for the work. We’ll only refuse permission if your home is not suited to the work that needs to be done.

Getting in touch

You, a member of your family or a friend can contact the Adaptations Service directly with your consent to request an initial assessment:
Tel: 01604 837818
E-mail: adaptations@nph.org.uk

Other organisations who can help

Care and Repair

Care & Repair (Northamptonshire) Ltd is a Home Improvement Agency (HIA).  Managed by an Independent Management Committee, they provide a range of practical services designed to support older, disabled and vulnerable people and enable them to continue to live safe, warm and secure within their own homes.

Care and Repair can carry out minor works in the home. This includes the supply and fit of radiator panels, low energy light bulbs and draught exclusion works. This service is free for eligible tenants.  

Essential works outside NPH's responsibility may also be offered.

You can contact Care and Repair on 01604 782250 or by e-mail office@careandrepairnorthamptonshire.org.uk

(Industrial & Provident Society with Charitable Status - registration number: IP25783R)



Mobility scooter storage

Guidance for tenants

Mobility scooters can help people stay mobile and live independently, but many of our homes were not designed for mobility scooters.

NPH can provide mobility scooter storage in certain circumstances. We do not automatically provide storage if you have already purchased a mobility scooter.

NPH's Adaptation Team can assess you for scooter storage if:

  • you have no support to access the community
  • you do not have use of a car to access the community on a daily basis; and
  • you can provide medical evidence to support the need of using a scooter in the community.

If it is appropriate, once we have completed an assessment we may fit an external socket and fixing point so you can charge and store your scooter securely.

We will not adapt access into your home or the communal area for your scooter to be charged or stored.