What is safeguarding?

Safeguarding means protecting people’s health, wellbeing and human rights, and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect. Those in most need of protection are children, young people and adults whose circumstances make them vulnerable.

Taking action

Anybody can help identify children or adults who need support to live full lives, free from abuse and neglect. Once a safeguarding issue is identified, it allows the relevant professionals to prevent abuse and minimise risk without taking control away from individuals. When necessary, action can be taken if abuse or neglect has already occurred.

Local authorities, care providers, health services, housing providers and criminal justice agencies are all important safeguarding partners.  The overall responsibility for safeguarding in Northampton lies with Northamptonshire County Council.

Click on the sections below for other important information.

Are you concerned about the safety of a child?

What to do if you're a member of the public with concerns about a child's safety or welfare:


If a child is in immediate danger, left alone or missing, you should contact the police directly and/or an ambulance using 999.

Non Emergencies

If there is no immediate danger but you are concerned about a child’s welfare, you should report this to Northamptonshire Children's Trust. 

You can find out more about reporting concerns on the Northamptonshire Children's Trust website: Report a concern 

If you are worried or concerned about something that has happened to you, a friend or someone you know, call Northamptonshire Children's Trust on 0300 126 7000.

Concerned about the safety of an adult?


If an adult is in immediate danger you should call 999.

Non emergencies

You can notify West Northamptonshire Council's adult social care of a concern by completing the online form: Report a safeguarding concern