Your safety

Keeping safe

We want to be as certain as possible that your home and its surroundings are safe for you and your family. 

There are certain aspects of safety that we are responsible for, but there is also a lot you can do yourself to improve the safety and security of your home. 

If you own a mobility scooter or are thinking of buying one, do watch the video below to make sure you know how to store it safely.


Fire safety

What we do

We risk assess all blocks of flats with a communal means of escape and work closely with the local Fire & Rescue Service to ensure our compliance with the current fire legislation.  

All our fire risk assessments are recorded on a database, alongside maintenance and service records to provide a clear record on safety within our buildings. We also continue to invest in fire safety measures to improve protection against the likelihood and effects of fire.

All our properties are fitted with smoke alarms to act as an initial protection measure for our residents. Disconnection or removal of smoke detectors places not just a household at risk but all your neighbours and the emergency services too. 

What you can do

There's few simple things you can do yourself, to make sure you keep safe in your home:

  • Check your smoke alarms regularly (once a week is recommended)
  • Make a family escape plan in case of a fire and practice it
  • Do not overload electrical sockets
  • Dispose of cigarettes in an ashtray
  • Keep matches and lighters away from children
  • Don’t leave cooking or candles unattended
  • Shut all doors and windows when leaving the home

Free Fire Safety checks

Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service offer a free fire safety check - you can book this online or call 0800 38 999 50 during office hours.

Fire Safety in Blocks

If you live in a flat with communal areas, you will have a fire door fitted. Make sure it closes properly, keep it closed when not in use and never wedge it open. 

Communal staircases, corridors and balconies must be kept clear of items at all times. This includes floor mats, plant pots, prams and bicycles. These will get in the way of people evacuating the building in the event of fire and could also fuel a fire.

Please contact us if you see damaged or open fire doors, or items stored in communal areas.

For further information on safety and cladding on our buildings see West Northamptonshire Council's published FAQs .


Gas safety

What we do

We check the gas appliances in your home each year to make sure they are safe for you to use. 

To help us to do this, you must let the engineer in so they can carry out the check. 

If you’re a leaseholder, you are responsible for the gas appliances in your home. 

What is a gas check?

An engineer will check and service all gas appliances that the Council owns, such as gas fires and boilers. They will also check the gas supply pipes. 

The check and service only takes about 40 minutes, and is carried out by a gas safety registered engineer.

Do I need to be at home?

You must be there to let the gas safety engineer in. The engineer will write to let you know when they plan to visit. If it’s not convenient you must arrange another appointment as soon as possible. If you keep missing appointments we may have to take legal action in the courts.

What happens if an appliance is faulty?

The engineer will fix the problem straight away if they can. If they can’t, they will disconnect the gas supply to that appliance. We will fix the problem as soon as possible. Never reconnect an appliance that has been disconnected.

What to do if you smell gas

  • Report it immediately to the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
  • Don’t use electrical switches – they might cause a spark
  • Shut off the gas supply at the meter
  • Put out all naked flames
  • Open all doors and windows
  • Leave your home
Asbestos safety

Advice for Tenants

If you suspect asbestos materials have been damaged please contact NPH on 0300 330 7003.

Advice for Leaseholders

Specialist accredited analysts can test materials and confirm or refute that asbestos is present. To find an analyst near you contact:

UKAS 21-47 High Street, Feltham, Middlesex, TW13 4UN Tel: 0208 917 8400

If you want any asbestos items removed or repaired

Contact the Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA), they can advise you of specialist companies near you:

ARCA Unit 1 Stretton Business Park 2 Brunel Drive, Stretton Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire DE13 0BY
Tel: 01283 566 467

Home Contents Insurance

It is our responsibility as the landlord to look after the structure of the building that you live in. This does not include your contents or personal belongings.

Items such as your furniture, belongings and other personal items are not insured against theft, fire, vandalism, flood and other household risks, unless you have home contents insurance.

It can cost you alot of money to replace your possessions without insurance. 

Getting home contents insurance

Why do I need it?

If you are a tenant who rents, then your landlord may not cover your contents as part of the tenancy agreement. It’s a good idea to consider what a home contents insurance policy would cover you for, to help you make an informed decision on whether you need one.

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen so home contents insurance can help provide peace of mind.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, NPH have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Great Lakes Insurance UK Limited who provide the Crystal Insurance Scheme, a specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy.

The Crystal Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

How do I get further information?

  • Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7286
  • Alternatively, please visit the for more information or to request a call back.

Limits and exclusions apply. A copy of the policy wording is available on request.

The Crystal Insurance Scheme is a product name arranged and administered by Thistle Tenant Risks a trading style of Thistle Insurance Services Limited. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Firm Reference Number 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington's Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is part of the PIB Group.

For information about what we do with personal data please see our Privacy Policy at

Guide to a successful tenancy