Adaptations Service

We are committed to helping people live independently in their home.

If you or anyone living at your home have a disability and are finding it difficult to get into and around your home or to use some of the facilities within your home we may be able to help by carrying out adaptations.

What do we provide?

  • Advice on equipment and/or adaptation for your home to support your needs
  • Advise and support on alternatives if adaptation is not possible

Some typical fixtures and fittings we provide include the following:

  • Grab rails and banisters
  • Level access to your home
  • Taps and/or handles if yours are difficult to turn
  • Kitchen and Bathroom alterations

To help us decide what kind of help you need, we will assess your needs, in some cases we will also refer your situation to an occupational therapist for further evaluation to ensure we support you and your family to the best of our ability.  Depending on the type of work to be carried out we aim to complete all minor adaptations within 28 days of your assessment. 

Who can we help?

In order to receive help from the Adaptations Service you or anyone living at your home must:

  • Be a council tenant with Northampton Partnership Homes
  • Find normal daily living tasks more difficult to carry out

Getting in touch

You, a member of your family or a friend can contact the Adaptations Service directly with your consent to request an initial assessment. 

Call us on 0300 330 7003, contact your housing officer, or send us an email:

If you have any questions about adaptations that are not answered below, please send us an email or give us a call and we'll be happy to help. 

Who pays for any adaptation work?

We will pay the cost of any minor and most major adaptations.

What if my home can’t be adapted?

Some properties can’t be easily adapted, perhaps because of the design or location. We will work with you to find a more suitable home for you to move to.

Is planning permission needed?

If the work is outside, such as a ramp, you may need planning permission from the council. We’ll be happy to help you with this.

Do I need your permission to carry out work?

It's always a good idea to speak to us first, as works to your home normally require permission added to which we may be able to pay for the work. We’ll only refuse permission if your home is not suited to the work that needs to be done.